Officer Separations (UQR)
The Officer Separation process starts with the Officer submitting his UQR (Unqualified Resignation) packet thru his Brigade S-1 in accordance with AR 600-8-24 for approval by his chain of command. Questions of what needs to be in the packet can be addressed by the S-1 or the PSB (Personnel Services Branch) 212 Custer Ave., or call (785)239-3712.
The Reserve Component Officer Transition Counselor on Fort Riley has the responsibility to counsel separating officers on their options and benefits. Together, with the officer, the counselor will type a memo that MUST be included (per HRC regulation) in their packet to HRC for them to be granted approval for separation. Call (785)239-2764 to make an appointment with the RC Officer Transition Counselor.
Requests can be submitted up to a year out. After approval of the request by the command, the packet is to be sent to HRC by the Brigade S-1 or the PSB.
Upon receipt of approval memo from HRC by PSB or the Brigade S-1, the Officer will be notified by them and sent a copy. He will be informed to call the Transition Center (210 Custer Ave., Rm 110) to schedule an appointment with them. Officer Separations Clerk: (785)239-2963 or Chief Transition Center: (785)239-2980.
At the scheduled appointment, the Officer will bring in a copy of the approval memo to Transition if the Brigade S-1 submitted UQR packet to HRC. (PSB forwards a copy to Transition Center when they receive the approval back.) Officer also needs to bring his MPF (Military Personnel File) to the appointment. He will get it from his Brigade S-1. The file must contain the items listed below:
- ORB: with updated courses, awards & deployments
- Documents of any prior service: Contracts, DD214s, NGB 22s, or 220s
- Active Duty Orders: Orders that brought officer on active duty
- DA fm 71 (Oath of Office)
- Record of Emergency Data (DD fm 93)
- SGLI (Serviceman Group Life Insurance)
Clerk will have Officer complete an information sheet at this appointment, then brief him on the separation process. This includes:
- Attending ACAP and VA Brief
- Completing Separation Physical
- Obtaining Medical & Dental Records
- Seeing the ISR (In Service Recruiter)
- Clearing CIF Procedures
- Clearing installation & unit Installation Clearance Procedures
- Documents he is required to turn in to Transition Center
- Bringing in an approved & signed DA fm 31 (if taking terminal leave)
- How & when he receives his orders & his initial & final processing appointments
- Setting up transportation of household goods
Orders are published 90-120 days out from separation date or up to 180 days out if taking a lot of terminal leave, AR 635-10.
On the date given to Officer that his orders will be ready for pick up, he will come in:
- Receive his orders
- Verify DD fm 214 worksheet to make any corrections & determine if any documents are needed to add information
- Schedule his initial interview appointment (scheduled week out from start of terminal leave)
- Schedule final out appointment (day before leave starts unless on a weekend or holiday, then the last duty day before)
- Be given date for picking up installation clearing papers at CCA (Central Clearing Agency/In and Out Processing)
- Sign all required pre-separation packet documents
Ten working days out from start of terminal leave, Officer will pick up installation clearing papers. Unit clearing papers can be picked up sooner. S-1's issue them.
Officer is required to be in uniform during all Transition processing and while clearing.
On the date that is scheduled for the initial interview appointment, Officer will come to Transition Center:
- Bring any documents (awards, schools, deployment time) that were determined needed for his DD fm 214.
- Bring clearing papers
- Contract if joining an ARNG or Reserve unit
- Be reminded of date for his final out appointment
- Sent to process finance
Upon completion of finance, Officer will finish clearing anything else left on the installation and unit clearing papers that he has not cleared. By the final out appointment, he must be totally cleared and have all required signatures.
On final out day, Officer will come in:
- Report to finance first to get final initials on clearing papers
- Go to In/Out Processing where he picked up his installation clearing papers to turn them in. They will stamp the originals, make two copies & give both copies to officer.
- Officer then will immediately report to Transition Center & sign in
- Turn in ACAP checklist, copy of physical, copy of stamped clearance papers, copy of VA claim form (if applicable)
- Verify all additions and corrections have beem made to DD fm 214
- Digitally sign DD fm 214
- Receive member's copies of 1 & 4
- Sign out with Transition
- Receive S-1 memo packet to take back and turn in when signing out at the unit
Last Updated: 07/24/2013 11:06 AM